by Bonillas, Robert
Rhytidectomy or “facelift” is a surgical treatment that restores optimal facial contours by reducing excess skin and fat, and repositioning the underlying structural tissues of the face. Unfortunately, the effects of aging, weight changes, and hormonal differences can cause facial tissue integrity to decline and, as a result, will create an unflattering appearance.  Many patients opt for the highly effective facelift to produce a dramatic, youthful appearance. The procedure addresses facial tissues across many layers to achieve natural-looking rejuvenation. It is an effective surgery that substantially benefits patients’ lives and self-confidence.
Are you interested in turning back the clock and restoring a youthful complexion? If so, you certainly have options. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Robert G. Bonillas! He and the team of Scottsdale Plastics at their offices on Bell Road have a wealth of experience in the field, and offer a variety of services to help patients reach their cosmetic potential. Book your consultation at our sophisticated, ultra-modern office by calling (480) 245-6380. Or you can also schedule an appointment online or make a virtual consultation.
Before and After Photos
Facial Tissue Changes
Throughout life, our bodies go through a multitude of physical changes. The facial structure loses its resilience because of the body’s natural reduction in collagen, and the gradual effects of sun exposure and gravity. This can lead to unflattering aesthetic changes, including sagging skin, uneven facial contours, wrinkles, and sun damage. Unfortunately, our busy lives filled with work, school, or family may prevent us from looking into more worthwhile treatments other than drug store facial creams or serums. A facelift provides patients with long-lasting results after just a brief surgical procedure! Dr. Bonillas will meet with you at your consultation to evaluate your condition and determine the best approach.
Facial Surgical Treatment in Scottsdale, AZ
Scottsdale Plastics doesn’t believe in a one size fits all approach to plastic surgery. That is why we offer a few options to treat your concerns. They include:
- Regular facelift: This gold standard of treatment improves moderate to severe skin laxity and other structural changes that accompany aging. Incisions for this procedure begin at the hairline at the temples, loop around the ear, and stop at the lower scalp. 
- S-Lift or Mini-Lift: An S-lift gets its name from the “s-shaped” incision made at the hairline and around the ear. Patients with moderate lower facial and neck sagging are typically the best candidates for this procedure.
- Midlift: Corrects mid-face concerns such as sagging cheeks and smoothes nasolabial folds by making two small incisions directly in the creases. Muscles are then tightened, and the tissues under the cheeks are repositioned.
Once Dr. Bonillas has direct access to the underlying facial structure, he will adjust underlying tissue, remove surplus skin and fat, and pull the skin tight. Once complete, he will suture the incisions closed and wrapped up the results in dressings.
Wrinkles and lines in the forehead that prematurely reveal one’s age can be easily diminished with a forehead/brow lift. To achieve your desired look, an incision is made along the hairline so it can be easily hidden.  Next, the forehead skin is lifted, muscles are tightened, and excess skin is excised to remove evidence of wrinkles.
Excess skin in the upper and lower eyelids can cause a tired, upset expression. In some cases, the redundant skin can even obstruct your vision. Dr. Bonillas fixes this by making an incision in the crease of the eyelid and performing a blepharoplasty, or eyelid lift. First, excess skin is removed, and muscles are tightened. Incisions are later closed with sutures.
Why You Should Choose a Surgical Facelift Treatment
A facelift is much more commonplace thanks to advanced technology and techniques that offer better results with a shorter recovery. Despite a global pandemic, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons reports that 234,374 patients in the US underwent facelifts in 2020.  So if you’re considering turning back the clock, you’re not alone. As you weigh your options, there are a few things to consider when deciding.
Surgical Treatment is Beneficial for Patients Who:
- Want substantial and longer-term benefits that boost up self-confidence.
- Are searching for a way to correct more serious concerns that non-surgical treatments can’t address.
- Desire a treatment that doesn’t involve occasional visits to the office.
Non-Surgical Treatment Beneficial for Patients Who:
- Only require minor to moderate touch-ups on the face and neck.
- Are not yet ready for surgery but still want similar effects from a surgical procedure.
- Would prefer a minimally invasive treatment.
Specifically, a facelift gives patients the chance to enjoy a long-lasting boost in confidence and self-esteem. You may consider a facelift if you are looking to:
- Achieve a revitalized look with youthful facial contours and complexion
- Attain better definition around the jawline
- Reduce facial fine lines, wrinkles, and folds
- Reposition facial fat to uplift your cheeks
- Attain a rejuvenated, natural look that will last for years
About Dr. Bonillas
Robert G. Bonillas, MD, chose plastic surgery to give patients extraordinary results. He and his staff love creating meaningful discussions about their patients’ circumstances and aesthetic expectations. Throughout the years, we have had the privilege to provide results that improve patients’ lives. You can read the reviews we’ve amassed over the years to get a better idea of what’s possible at Scottsdale Plastics.
Your Consultation and Procedure Experience
We understand that getting plastic surgery is a big decision, and planning can be overwhelming. But the staff at Scottsdale Plastics will ensure that you have the support you need, and the best experience possible. We can assure you the best patient care, an extensive breadth of knowledge, and dedication to superior results in state-of-the-art facilities. During a consultation, Dr. Bonillas will discuss your facelift options after he completes a physical examination of your face and an assessment of your health. You will discuss your aesthetic ambitions and any conditions that may impact your surgery.
A facelift is an outpatient procedure that typically takes place within 2-5 hours. You’ll be kept comfortable with anesthesia. Once surgery ends, we’ll close your incisions with dissolvable sutures , look after you for a short period, and release you from our care so you can concentrate on your healing journey.
Overcoming Post Surgical Symptoms
The duration of your recovery should take place within a few weeks. We recommend taking it easy and not overexerting yourself until you get better. Usually, patients will take 1-2 weeks to recuperate from work and other daily commitments. To get better, Dr. Bonillas gives you a few instructions to follow to ensure a standard recovery process.
You will be prescribed medication to take care of the soreness, swelling, discoloration, and muscle stiffness. You’ll also be given detailed instructions on how to care for your incisions. A successful recovery should happen in 6-8 weeks when the above symptoms are gone, after which you can resume all of your regular activities.
The New Shape of Your Face
Doing your part during recovery will help your results materialize as quickly as possible. You will be delighted when they do! The appearance of wrinkles and sagging skin will be exchanged with firmer, youthful-looking contours. Best of all, patients can look forward to enjoying their results for years to come when they maintain a healthy lifestyle and skincare regimen.
Non-Surgical Alternatives to Facial Treatments
Patients also have the luxury of choosing from a list of non-surgical options to retain a youthful look without pesky fine lines and wrinkles. The duration of the results varies with each treatment, but they can still provide considerable results. At your consultation, we may also suggest:
Injectable treatments temporarily improve signs of facial folds and creases. However, different types of injectables provide different benefits. At your consultation, Dr. Bonillas will lay out the advantages of each treatment.
- Neuromodulators: Botox and Xeomin are two injectables that reduce fine lines and wrinkles by injecting botulinum type A. When placed into the muscles, it temporarily eases the contractions responsible for wrinkles and laugh lines. As a result, patients will see remarkable, gradual improvements and smoother skin.
- Dermal Fillers: A filler injection (Juvederm, Juvederm Voluma XC, Sculptra, and Bellafill) provides added volume and support to the underlying facial structure known as the extracellular matrix (ECM). In time, patients will see a vast reduction in wrinkles, folds, and creases.
Facelift Cost in Scottsdale, AZ
Pricing for your facelift is dependent on your unique treatment plan. Dr. Bonillas and his team will go over all the associated costs, and discuss financing options at your consultation. Scottsdale Plastics offers multiple payment options to ensure each patient has a chance to enhance their look without financial worries.
- Park, D. M. (2015). Total Facelift: Forehead Lift, Midface Lift, and Neck Lift. Archives of Plastic Surgery, 42(2), 111. https://doi.org/10.5999/aps.2015.42.2.111
- PLASTIC SURGERY STATISTICS REPORT 2020. (2020). https://www.plasticsurgery.org/documents/News/Statistics/2020/plastic-surgery-statistics-full-report-2020.pdf
- Sanan, A., & Most, S. P. (2018). Rhytidectomy (Face-Lift Surgery). JAMA, 320(22), 2387. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.17292