Skin care is any combination of treatments and products that support the health and aesthetics of the skin. When you hear about skin care, you may automatically think of skin care routines and everyday practices to protect your skin against premature aging, dryness, sun exposure, and more. While dermatologist-recommended products can work wonders for your skin, sometimes, certain conditions need a little more attention. Wrinkles, rosacea, melasma, age spots, acne scars, and other irregularities require treatments that target deep into the dermal layer of the skin.
At Scottsdale Plastics, our skin care products and treatments work to activate your skin’s healing processes and provide long-term rejuvenation. Led by board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Robert Bonillas, you can feel assured that you will be able to find the right treatment for your unique needs. Dr. Bonillas offers microneedling, skin resurfacing procedures, chemical peels, ZO SkinCare products, and Latisse which are all effective treatments for a wide range of conditions. To schedule your appointment with Dr. Bonillas today, please call (480) 245-6380 or use his contact form so that a member of his staff can assist you.
Supporting Your Skin’s Health
The quest for glowing, radiant skin is a common desire among many individuals. As we age, our skin undergoes various changes, such as the loss and degradation of collagen and elastin, which begin to occur in the skin as early as the mid to late 30’s. (1) UV rays from the sun can trigger the overproduction of melanin, or skin pigment which leads to the development of liver spots. UV light specifically targets elastin fibers in the skin and creates fine lines, wrinkles, and uneven texture. The sun is also a main contributor to the development of rosacea, or persistent redness. In some cases, rosacea can be caused by harsh skin care products that could trigger more inflammation and abnormal blood vessel formation on the face. With Dr. Bonillas’ guidance, achieving a more vibrant complexion has never been easier. Dr. Bonillas only incorporates FDA-approved methods, ensuring that you get the most comprehensive and safest results possible.
Microneedling devices are equipped with fine, short needles that administer micro injuries into the dermis layer of the skin. These tiny traumas caused by the needles stimulate cells called fibroblasts which react by increasing their production of collagen and elastin. These connective proteins contribute greatly to keeping the skin supple and firm. Microneedles are also able to rearrange collagen formations to break down atrophic scar tissue, allowing for normal skin to regenerate in the area. (2) As a minimally invasive treatment, microneedling only affects the second layer of skin, so the epidermis (the surface) is left intact.
What is Morpheus8?
Dr. Bonillas offers Morpheus8, one of the most advanced microneedling devices available which was FDA approved in 2020. Morpheus8 utilizes both the mechanical benefits of the microneedles alongside radiofrequency energy (RF) a gentle thermal energy that provides skin-tightening benefits through the contraction of collagen fibers. The combined technologies available in Morpheus8 provide a significant reduction in the appearance of:
- Acne/Atrophic Scarring
- Fine Lines and Wrinkles
- Stretch Marks
- Mildly Lax Skin
- Age Spots
- Skin Texture Irregularities
- Large Pores
Dr. Bonillas performs his skin resurfacing procedures with Lumenis Stellar M22 system, a laser that is equipped with 4 distinctive modes:
- Stellar Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) is a light therapy that breaks down unwanted pigment and destroys vascular lesions that contribute to redness. It uses a broad range of light wavelengths, unlike a laser that administers pulses of one wavelength. It can also treat dark spots caused by sun damage. It is a non-ablative treatment, so it only targets the dermis and leaves the epidermis unharmed; this allows you to reap the rejuvenating benefits with significantly less downtime.
- ResurFX is another non-ablative laser, but it targets deeper issues such as wrinkles, stretch marks and atrophic scars. It works similarly to microneedling since it works through microinjures that trigger the production of more collagen.
- Multi-Spot Nd:YAG is a non-ablative laser that targets unwanted leg veins, unwanted hair, and larger spots like port-wine birthmarks.
- Q-switched Nd:YAG targets and reduces dark ink from tattoos and other pigmented lesions with non-ablative laser light. In order to remove a tattoo, it will take several sessions.
Dr. Bonillas can adjust the Stellar M22 system to apply the correct light/laser therapy that is most optimal for your skin type according to the Fitzpatrick Scale. This scale allows doctors and laser specialists to correctly determine the appropriate treatment based on a patients’ skin tone and how their skin tans or burns. In general, lasers that administer longer wavelengths are safer for people with darker skin since they prevent the risk of hypopigmentation- lightening of the skin. (3)
Chemical peel treatments can be customized to accommodate your skin sensitivity and cosmetic concerns. Dr. Bonillas offers more skin-sensitive options such as the Alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) peel, a fruit acid-based peel that can reduce the prominence of acne, atrophic scars, pigmentation concerns, chronic skin dryness, and wrinkles. (4) They are gentle enough to be included in everyday skincare products to promote skin brightening. The VI peel is another relatively gentle peel that contains 3 ingredients- trichloroacetic acid, salicylic acid, and retinoic acid- that provide exfoliation and correction of pigmentation problems.
More comprehensive peels that require more downtime consist of the Trichloroacetic acid (TCA) peel and the phenol peel. These are designed to address more severe signs of aging and can have the same effects as an ablative skin resurfacing laser.
Dr. Bonillas can find a custom ZO SkinCare regimen that is specific to your age, skin types, and the issues you would like to address. Common ingredients in ZO skincare include Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, antioxidants, hydroquinone (requires a prescription), and SPF for sun protection. ZO skincare products were founded by dermatologist Zein Obagi, MD, who stands by ZO SkinCare’s thoroughly-researched ingredients.
Latisse is a nourishing serum medication that encourages thicker, longer eyelash growth. It is a great alternative to heavy makeup and fake eyelashes that can be difficult to apply and take off. After applying the serum on a nightly basis, you can expect to see results in as little as 2 months! (5) Its active ingredient is bimatoprost which has been safely utilized in ophthalmic solutions for the treatment of glaucoma since 1996. All you have to do is brush one drop of the liquid across the upper and lower eyelash lines, ensuring that the medication reaches the hair follicles, not the hairs themselves. You should apply at night so that you can wear your makeup during the day.
You should follow the aftercare steps specific to each treatment:
- After any type of microneedling session, you should refrain from sweating, heat exposure, exfoliation and harsh soaps. You should apply the moisturizer that Dr. Bonillas prescribes to you while avoiding other skin care products until at least 3 days into your recovery. Morpheus8 can cause temporary redness and irritation.
- Depending on the chemical peel, your skin may react with mild peeling and redness or significant peeling and blistering that will turn scab-like. With deeper treatments like the phenol or TCA peel, you can expect these side effects to continue for 5 to 8 days before revealing softer, fresher skin underneath. Dr. Bonillas will recommend healing creams that will protect your skin during this uncomfortable phase, but you should refrain from picking at your skin.
- After a laser/light treatment with Stellar M22 skin resurfacing, you may have side effects that are similar to a mild sunburn for up to 3 days. It may resolve in less time, but it mostly depends on the setting applied and your own skin’s sensitivity. In the first few days after your Stellar session, you should use mild soap and products, avoid sun exposure and exercise, and apply a cool ice pack if you have discomfort. Once the initial irritation wears off, you should further protect your skin by using a daily sunscreen if you decide to go in the sun. Within a week or so, you may notice mild peeling of pigmented areas, leading to clearer skin.
Cost of Skin Rejuvenation in Scottsdale
The cost of your skin care will depend on your long-term treatment plan, the cosmetic issues you wish to address, and your chosen treatment method. During your initial consultation, Dr. Bonillas will outline your available options and highlight the pros and cons of each. After making an informed decision about which treatment you would like, he will provide you with a cost estimate.
Dr. Bonillas works to make skin care procedures and treatments highly accessible to those who need more financial options, which is why he offers PatientFi, CareCredit, and layaway specials. To get started today, call Scottsdale Plastics at (480) 245-6380 or request your consultation with Dr. Bonillas online. To find out more about the procedures and treatments at his practice, take a look through his informative blog.
- Rousseaux I, Robson S. Body Contouring and Skin Tightening Using a Unique Novel Multisource Radiofrequency Energy Delivery Method. The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology. 2017;10(4):24-29. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5404777/
- Singh A, Yadav S. Microneedling: Advances and widening horizons. Indian Dermatol Online J. 2016;7(4):244-254. doi:10.4103/2229-5178.185468.
- Cole P, Hatef D, Kaufman Y, Pozner J. Laser Therapy in Ethnic Populations. Seminars in Plastic Surgery. 2009;23(03):173-177. doi:https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0029-1224796
- Moghimipour E. Hydroxy Acids, the Most Widely Used Anti-aging Agents. Jundishapur journal of natural pharmaceutical products. 2012;7(1):9-10. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3941867/#:~:text=Alpha%20hydroxy%20acid%20(AHA)%20and
- Bitton E, Courey C, Giancola P, Diaconu V, Wise J, Wittich W. Effects of LATISSE (bimatoprost 0.03 per cent topical solution) on the ocular surface. Clinical and Experimental Optometry. 2017;100(6):583-589. doi:https://doi.org/10.1111/cxo.12507